Review: Making Faces

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

SPOILER IN SOME PARTS BUT I FORGET WHERE.

to be honest, i think i took a wrong book for my currently emotional state. Yes, i have my own problem and this book is really full of upside down parts.

i didn't expect that the story would bring so much emotions. I didn't think that there were so much heartbreaking in the story, and this book overwhelmed me in most of parts. The first maybe we would see about someone who fell in love with a boy with so much charm. Some cute parts at first and i myself thought the story would keep light until the end. However, the story was getting dark and i cried a lot.

i found some of turning point in this book. And they were always depressed me.

in the first turning point, it felt time passed so long until that tragedy.

In one part we felt the senior high school. Full of students, party, drink, etc. Fun. But on the next part, we would face the reality, about boys in war, life after school, work, pregnant, married.
Then we faced 'that part'. Everything changed, and i could feel it. How dark, gloomy, sad and the situation that Harmon described in this book felt like really happened around me.

So that, i could feel exactly what the characters here felt. Lost of friends, lost of something you had before. When you were alone, here, just want to die, but should continue your life, could not erase any memories about something so beautiful in the past life.

The feeling when you realized that what you got in the past was so much better than what you get now, so why never you be grateful with what you get in your life? I felt it, and suddenly it made me so gloomy.

The second turning point was about life after tragedy.

I just couldn't get over Bailey in my head when i got this part. He had really beautiful characters, being himself almost all his life, never be timid, smile a lot, being hero for everyone. For myself, he was hero in this story.

We have Ambrose as an hero in this book, we have Fern as an heroin, but here Bailey as their hero's. Bailey was Ambrose's hero, also he's Fern's hero. He still became hero in wrestling. That's so much beauty in him that i couldn't get over when Harmon chose 'that kind' of ending for him.

I knew that Bailey somehow would reach 'that state' that we thought in the first time he appeared. But I never thought that he would not get a good end, because he's a good man, he deserved everything good in his life. So it broke me reading the end of his life, that's such a tragedy. His end was not as beautiful as his personality. So again, i cried a lot. I ached for his life. I thought Bailey had so many visions how he would end his life, but i thought he would never think 'that way'. That's so sad. I hate it. So much. Maybe you would not agree with me, anyway, this my subjective opinion.

Even so, all people love Bailey. He had personality that hard to hate and hard not to love. The way Ambrose and Fern remember him was so sweet and lovely. Because both of them love Bailey so much, Ambrose love him as teacher, motivator, bestfriend, and Fern love Bailey as soulmate, family, and it touched me so much. I can imagined the epilogue, and it's beautiful.

Last,
for me Amy Harmon described all characters perfectly. Even Ambrose's friends that i didn't expect they would take parts in my heart, but they were. They were always in Ambrose's side, never leaved him, supported him, followed him. That's a beautiful friendship that maybe we would not always meet in life. They're five people and they're beautiful together, just how Fern always there for Bailey. Fern and Bailey from the first they appeared, they were so connected, so entwined, natural. That's beautiful: friend's bond, friend's jokes, friend's secret, and many more.

I actually wished a good ending for everyone because i love everyone in this story, but the story here teach us about loss and acceptance so i knew why the story was like this.

This story was not just about romance, but also friendship, hard life, reality, and you would find some moral lesson from this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menyelami Seni dalam Kejiwaan pada buku "Psikologi Seni"

The Magic Of You by Johanna Lindsey (Malory-Anderson Family #4)

Scandal in Spring (The Wallflowers, Book 4)